The Guisborough group meets once a month at St Nicholas Church Hall at the following times:
First Wednesday of the month from 19:00 – 21:00
Our Meetings for the next few months
3rd January – Corded Rainbow Workshop – Working with the lovely Jess from Knot Worth the Tassle you will each be making a pretty corded rainbow keyring. This wrapping technique is very addictive as you can get some amazing results.
7th February – Zentangle – We’re excited to have the Teesside Tangler joining us to inspire and teach us the art of Zentangle. Joanne the Teesside Tangler, has been sharing her love of Zentangle with us at other groups and it is one of the session’s that’s had everyone talking many members have even taken it up as a hobby! We always giggle at the thought of Amazon having a spike in sales after one of our session. Zentangle is a way to create beautiful images, similar to doodling, by drawing “tangles” using lines, dots, curves and orbs. Zentangle helps increase focus, creativity and self-confidence as well as being a super mindful activity, just don’t blame us if you get addicted!
6th March – Driftwood Houses – You may have seen the adorable wooden miniature houses that have been springing up in giftshops. We are going to be making our own little homes with with Lynne from Forget me not art. Lynne is a super forager, she brings a huge assortment of wood in many shapes and sizes along with fabric, card, rusty nails and pieces of metal that most people wouldn’t look twice at. Lynne knows that all of these items look fabulous with a little bit of paint when incorporated into the design of your mini house scene. Our groups that did this activity in the last block absolutely loved it!
3rd April – Folded Book Sculptures – Our upcycling queen Hayley will be teaching this session and breathing a new lease of life into old books. The art of book folding is a very clever concept that allows you to make beautiful paper sculptures. The technique is quite simple however it does require some patience and perseverance with folding! We know with Hayley’s guidance you will all create a fabulous piece of book art to take home. We have a selection of old books for you to use however you are welcome to bring along any books from home that you would like to upcycle.
1st May – Fabric Flower Door Garland – We know that you’re going to love these fabric flower door garlands! We’ll take you through the sewing process, showing you how to make a range of different types of flowers using felt and fabric. Your garlands can also be accessorised with pompoms, recycled bit of old jewellery, interesting trimmings, buttons or faux flowers. We can’t wait to see what you create, no two garlands are ever the same! There is a lot to fit into the two-hour session, so you might like to pre-make some small pompoms or bring some additional things ahead of the workshop to add on and make your wreath look fuller on the night, alternatively you could finish it off at home.
5th June – Grease Sing Along – Ladies, you have been asking us for a singing session for quite some time and we are really excited to let you know that we have found Chris, from The Rise Up Project . Chris is passionate about creating a safe space for people to come and enjoy all the emotional and physical benefits of singing without fear or judgement, no matter what your vocal ability is. The themes of the session is going to be ‘Grease’ with a ‘Pink Lady’ dress code so dig out your pink t.shirts or you might even have a Sandra D outfit at the back of your wardrobe. We will also be fundraising with a tombola and raffle with the proceeds going to the ‘Breast Cancer Awareness’ charity as it’s an amazing cause that fits in with our pink evening perfectly. It’s going to be a fun session!
3rd July – Eco Session – We have had several requests over the years to offer a session on sustainability and how to be thriftier. We are very excited for you to meet Ruth, from Ecologico, who managed to not buy anything new for a whole year! Ruth will be inspiring you with her story and will also bringing along her shop van, where she sells environmentally friendly items for the home. In addition, you will be taking part in a clothes swish, this is where everyone brings up to 6 items of pre-loved clean clothes, shoes or accessories. You will be given a ticket for every item you bring along and these tickets can then be placed on your desired items. It’s a super fun way to swap clothes and a great way to try something new! We’re sure you will enjoy this thrifty themed session!
7th August – Glass Painting – During this sessions we’ll be painting some beautiful gin glasses (or wine, hey we don’t judge what you’ll fill it with!) with glass paints. We have had some beautiful florals, mandalas, words or just block colours, the results from these sessions never fail to make us smile! When you get home after 24 hours you can put your glass in the oven at a low temperature to cure the paint, making them dishwasher proof. Equally they look lovely with a tealight or purely decorative. We can’t wait to see what you create!
Group Host: Niki
1. How long have you been a member of Pimm’s & Needles and why did you want to host a group? I’ve been a member since last summer when the Guisborough group started. I joined the committee straight away and absolutely love it. Who wouldn’t want to be more involved!
2. What do you like best about the groups? I really enjoy crafts and learning new skills but I think the best thing is just the lovely way everyone is treated as though they’ve been friends forever. You can show up without knowing anyone and instantly feel welcome and part of something. I sometimes just sit back and watch how everyone is smiling and having so much fun.
3. What do you generally dislike? The problems with sea pollution. Animal cruelty.
4. What would be your perfect day? It would start with a dip in the sea followed by afternoon tea then a live band, the last two with my daughter.
5. What sweet treat do you love? A pacittos lemon top must be number one, closely followed by hotel Chocolat coffee and walnut selectors
6. Your favourite Pimm’s & Needles activity that you have done before? I’ve enjoyed them all, particularly glass fusing and the murder mystery.
7. Interesting or little known fact about you? I love fairgrounds and once stayed on a waltzer 27 rides in a row – only getting off because I’d run out of money!