The group meets once a month at Number 42, Marketplace, Bishop Auckland at the following times:
- Second Wednesday of the month between 19:00 and 21:00
Our Meetings for the next few months
10th January – Cookie Decorating – We’re delighted to be working with Jen the Cookie Fairy who makes the most delicious cookies! She will be bringing some of her yummy cookies along to show us how to ice cookies like a professional! This is a hands on workshop where we will all be having a go at icing. It will be interesting to see how many cookies make it out of the door and how many get eaten before the session is over!
14th February – Corded Rainbow Workshop – Working with the lovely Jess from Knot Worth the Tassle you will each be making a pretty corded rainbow keyring. This wrapping technique is very addictive as you can get some amazing results.
13th March – Felted 3D Animals – Our needle felting sessions have always been super popular, whether it’s making felted baubles or the 2D felted landscapes that we created at many of the groups in the last block of activities. It’s amazing what you can make within the workshop time-frame and we often find that members are delighted at the designs that can be achieved as a beginner. We’re going to be making 3D Felted animals this time with the help of local artist Fiona Marston. Whether it’s a fox or an Alpaca we’re sure you’ll all create some fabulous felted animals!
10th April – Paper Houses – We needed no excuse to have the lovely Keely, our Pimm’s and Needles celebrity, back out teaching sessions for us again. You might have spotted Keely from KP Papercuts, making beautiful papercut designs on TV on Kirstie’s Handmade Christmas a couple of years ago. Keely has taught papercutting for us in the past and also hosts our Hartlepool Group (as we wouldn’t let her leave us!). Keely will be leading a papercutting session with a difference where everyone will be making 3D paper houses, perfect for a battery-operated tea light! These houses look super cute and we know you will love them!
8th May – Grease Sing Along – Ladies, you have been asking us for a singing session for quite some time and we are really excited to let you know that we have found Chris, from The Rise Up Project . Chris is passionate about creating a safe space for people to come and enjoy all the emotional and physical benefits of singing without fear or judgement, no matter what your vocal ability is. The themes of the session is going to be ‘Grease’ with a ‘Pink Lady’ dress code so dig out your pink t.shirts or you might even have a Sandra D outfit at the back of your wardrobe. We will also be fundraising with a tombola and raffle with the proceeds going to the ‘Breast Cancer Awareness’ charity as it’s an amazing cause that fits in with our pink evening perfectly. It’s going to be a fun session!
12th June – Fabric Flower Door Garland – We know that you’re going to love these fabric flower door garlands! We’ll take you through the sewing process, showing you how to make a range of different types of flowers using felt and fabric. Your garlands can also be accessorised with pompoms, recycled bit of old jewellery, interesting trimmings, buttons or faux flowers. We can’t wait to see what you create, no two garlands are ever the same! There is a lot to fit into the two-hour session, so you might like to pre-make some small pompoms or bring some additional things ahead of the workshop to add on and make your wreath look fuller on the night, alternatively you could finish it off at home.
10th July – Eco Session – We have had several requests over the years to offer a session on sustainability and how to be thriftier. We are very excited for you to meet Ruth, from Ecologico, who managed to not buy anything new for a whole year! Ruth will be inspiring you with her story and will also bringing along her shop van, where she sells environmentally friendly items for the home. In addition, you will be taking part in a clothes swish, this is where everyone brings up to 6 items of pre-loved clean clothes, shoes or accessories. You will be given a ticket for every item you bring along and these tickets can then be placed on your desired items. It’s a super fun way to swap clothes and a great way to try something new! We’re sure you will enjoy this thrifty themed session!
14th August – Zentangle – We’re excited to have the Teesside Tangler joining us to inspire and teach us the art of Zentangle. Joanne the Teesside Tangler, has been sharing her love of Zentangle with us at other groups and it is one of the session’s that’s had everyone talking many members have even taken it up as a hobby! We always giggle at the thought of Amazon having a spike in sales after one of our session. Zentangle is a way to create beautiful images, similar to doodling, by drawing “tangles” using lines, dots, curves and orbs. Zentangle helps increase focus, creativity and self-confidence as well as being a super mindful activity, just don’t blame us if you get addicted!
Group Host: Lesley Grant
1. How long have you been a member of Pimm’s & Needles and why did you want to host a group? A few years ago I’d been attending a sewing group ran by Charlotte, and she told me about the Pimm’s and Needles groups that were running in Darlington. It sounded amazing, just my kind of thing, so I jumped at the chance to join the Aycliffe Village group as soon as it started. I love everything about Pimm’s and Needles and being a host let’s me be part of sharing that enjoyment, creativity and inspiration with the group members.
2. What do you like best about the groups? I love any and all crafts and trying new things, so Pimm’s and Needles is brilliant. It’s great to experience all these wonderful activities in such a fun, relaxed and friendly way. The members are all so lovely and positive and supportive of each other.
3. What do you generally dislike? That I have to wait a full month until the next session.
4. What would be your perfect day? My perfect day would have to include the beach, it’s just my favourite place to be, whatever the weather: so walking my springer spaniel Blossom, who loves the beach as much as me, open-water swimming in the sea, with a wonderful friend that I met at P&N, or sea-glass and driftwood collecting, for crafting creations with at a later date. All finished off with tea and cake!
5. What sweet treat do you love? Carrot cake – that can’t be too bad right, carrots are good for you!
6. Your favourite Pimm’s & Needles activity that you have done before? This is a difficult choice – I’ve enjoyed everything I’ve had a go at. The life drawing was one I was most surprised by as I was so nervous, but it was such a fun night and the couple who lead it made everyone feel at ease and have a great night.
7. Interesting or little known fact about you? All my dogs names have began with the letter B. It wasn’t an intentional thing to begin with, but now I just can’t change it! Also I’ve had a piece of my artwork used as a front cover of a CD. It’s not a best-selling one so no one will have seen it but nevertheless I’m still proud of it.